From Bluebirds to Blue Devils, local student journalists converge at NKU journalism camp

Back to Article
Back to Article

Students from as far north as Hamilton, Ohio and as far east as Dover, Kentucky will converge on NKU’s campus for the eighth annual Journalism Digital Media Workshop.

There will be Eagles, Thunderhawks, Bluebirds, Blue Devils and Cougars among others making the trip to learn from Norse journalists and faculty.

Twenty high school students from 15 different schools will experience hands-on media skills for news gathering, writing and filming. Students ranging from freshmen to seniors will be able to collaborate and work together to enhance their journalism skills.

Michele Day, the director of the workshop, said the hands-on nature of the symposium will benefit students far more than a simple tour through Griffin Hall.

“The cool part about this workshop is being able to get snip-its of a college classroom and interact with college students and faculty who have experience,” Day said. “These are things behind the scenes that you wouldn’t see on a tour. I think it’s good for these students to get to see and understand what NKU is really like outside of a formal presentation.”

Alongside the students, faculty members and mentors will give these high school students a chance to gain real-world experience and become confident in their ability to be a journalist. Everyday the students will overcome obstacles as a team and learn new techniques to apply certain skills to their own work.

Student mentor Christopher Decker said the camp is an opportunity to show future college students the importance of being involved with student media.

“To me this is like coaching my basketball team,” Decker said. “You want to keep students involved and at the same time help them develop the craft they need early on to get them ready for future opportunities. It’s important for these students to get familiar with programs and staff to create networks. This is just a tiny clip of what it takes to be a real journalist.”

Students will be exposed to college classroom expectations, work content and a better understanding of NKU classes. With taking everything they have learned, the students will have a chance to create their own photo galleries, text stories, and videos gathered from interviews and footage to create their ideal news story.

Nate Weyman, a freshman mentor, once attended the camp. He said students going through this year’s camp will have a big advantage as they prepare for college.

“I joined the camp two years ago as a student, from my past experience I was able to learn skills that have put me at an advantage when I came to NKU and started my major,” Weyman said. “This workshop is a great sneak peek at what to expect in college when you make the transition to college courses from high school.”