Demo site provided by School Newspapers Online.
Back to Article
Back to Article

What you missed on July 24

Dr. Maggie Whitson shows students the properties of a succulent.

Billy Keeney

Billy Keeney

Billy Keeney

What you missed on July 24

Students shot videos today, getting enough information to create, both, a text and video story

July 24, 2019

Throughout the week, students learned how to get the perfect shot, angle and quote. Today, they put their skills to use in their own videos and stories.

To report or not to report

NKU journalism assistant professor Dr. Stacie Jankowski began day three by asking the students what makes an ethical journalist. 

Seeking the truth and minimizing harm through journalists’ work were two of the most important characteristics of an ethical journalist, according to Jankowski.

“As a journalist, what you’re trying to sell to people is credibility,” Jankowski said. 

As an exercise, Jankowski gave a list of scenarios that a student journalist might face and asked the students to work in groups to come up with solutions. This exercise enabled the students to think critically on trustworthy, ethical reporting. They learned the importance of credible reporting and minimizing harm without risking that credibility. 

“How do we be credible?” Jankowski asked. “We seek the truth.”

Putting lessons to use

Four groups of students set off to film and interview, creating stories that showcase what they’ve learned throughout the week. 

Ethan B., Jack L., Tyler G. and Kryton J. were tasked with a story involving NKU student engagement and clubs. They interviewed Coordinator for Student Engagement AJ Miller about preparing for FreshFusion—a student engagement event aimed to expose incoming freshman to life at NKU—what student clubs are like and how important involvement is on campus. They also were able to talk to senior Student Engagement Specialist Derek Holden about his involvement on campus, his fraternity and what his job is like in the Office of Student Engagement. 

For their videos, the boys explored campus to find the best footage that could truly capture student life, even risking dropping equipment in the lake for the perfect shot. 

Natalie R., Zoey D., Charlie W. and Noah C. explored the world of plant pressing with Dr. Maggie Whitson, NKU associate professor of botany. 

Whitson showed the students the herbarium, where plants are pressed and preserved. Students asked Whitson about her interest in botany, the importance of preservation and the threats that plants face due to climate change. 

Whitson also showed the students the greenhouse, where live plants are used for research and classes at NKU. 

Evan A., Gabby K., Savannah K. and Samantha B. headed down to BB&T arena to talk with members of the women’s basketball team. There, they talked with players about what their plans for the upcoming season looked like, and sat in on some of the team’s exercises. 

Two NKU electronic media & broadcasting students talked to Shannon M., Kyle S., Dakota S., McKenzie K. and Justin G. about their love for skateboarding and how it has influenced their film career.

Clay Bonin, recent NKU graduate, and Chris Fenton-Wells, senior, talked to students about everything from their first board, to their worst skating injuries and helped students with new camera shots and techniques.

The two students led the high schoolers to the bank located between Landrum Hall and Steely Library, a popular spot for skaters on campus. They showed off their favorite tricks on camera, and dazzled the high schoolers as they skated at high speeds all the way down the hill located near the Campus Recreation Center.

“It felt like I was watching “Skate 3” in real life,” Dakota S. said.

Catching the perfect lead

Lakota East’s student magazine advisor Dean Hume taught students how to engage the readers in their story. He told them they needed to “write a story, not an article.” 

Academy Director Michele Day had students write as much as they could in five minutes—not worrying about grammar, layout or formatting. 

The students then put pen to paper and started writing their own stories from their interviews today. 

Natalie R. said she was trying to “show, not tell” in her lead by describing the different types of insects she saw during her interview. 

Other students used different techniques to describe their observations from their interviews, as Hume instructed them to do. 

Billy Keeney
Media professional Dean Hume helps students with their written projects.

Editing like a pro

Academy Video Director John Gibson brought the students into the digital editing lab to teach them how to take their extensive amounts of raw footage from today’s small group activity and turn them into full videos. 

In the lab, Gibson showed students the essentials of video editing. He gave students a sample script for their videos, which showed a traditional example of when to use interview footage and when to use b-roll. 

He also showed them how to work with Adobe Premiere Pro, one of the industry standard non-linear editing programs. Students were taught different techniques to trim their footage and make the video more visually appealing, and were also taught to use Premiere’s signature multi-track system.

At the end of the day, Gibson advised the students to upload their footage to Google Drive and then record their voice overs at home using their mobile devices. Students then did research in preparation for tomorrow’s field trip to the Newport History Museum.

NKU Digital • Copyright 2019 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in