Matt Sexton

Back to Article
Back to Article

Matt Sexton

Year: Senior

Major: Journalism

Minor: EMB

Role: Story Editor

High School: Blanchester High School, Blanchester, Ohio

_____________________________________

_____________________________________

It’s been quite a while since I was where you are now.

The world is a much different place than when I was a senior at Blanchester High School in the late 1990s. Back then, Clinton was running for president, and the Cincinnati Reds were on their way to another disappointing season.

OK, so not everything has changed.

In addition to my on-again, off-again pursuit of a college degree, I’ve been working as a freelance journalist, both in print and broadcast, for 20 years. I’ve covered high school and college sports ranging from football to hockey to golf and almost everything in between.

Now officially a senior, I’m a journalism major and an electronic media and broadcasting minor. I will be helping this week as a story editor.

For the upcoming semester, I’ll be the managing editor of The Northerner, the NKU student media organization.

I’m very excited to get to work with everyone this week. In a world that seems to grow crazier by the day, journalism is more important now than ever. I look forward to hearing your stories and seeing this week through your eyes.
_____________________________________

Favorite social media: If you look for me in social media, your best chance to find me is on Twitter (@byMattSexton). It’s still the best social media for breaking news.

Dream job: My dream job is not in print journalism, but actually in broadcasting. I would love to do radio play-by-play for a professional hockey team.

Interesting fact: Despite my appearance, I’m a pretty good tennis player. I’m the girls’ tennis coach at Blanchester, Ohio, and have been a part of nine league championship teams.