Demo site provided by School Newspapers Online.
The+Museum+was+formerly+an+all-black+school.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Southgate Street School transforms into the Newport History Museum

The Museum was formerly an all-black school.

Jack L.

Jack L.

Jack L.

Volunteers donate their time to better the community through historic exhibits

July 26, 2019

Sometimes good schools close for bad reasons. This was not the case for the Southgate Street School. In 1955, the most incredible, communally accepted, inspiring and successful school in the tri-state area closed because Newport officially became integrated.

Flashback to 1873, this school became the first black school in the area. African-Americans from all across Campbell County only had this school to go to. This was because of the Brown v. Board of Education case.

At one point there were more than 120 students taught by only four teachers and a principal. Fortunately, the surrounding community was very supportive of the students and staff. Southgate was funded by local organizations and households.

Jack L.
The books for the school were often brought from all-white schools to all-blacks, but not reverse Newport’s Historic Preservation Officer.

Even though, some teachers at Covington High School didn’t believe that any of these children would amount to much and would end up just like their parents, struggling to stay stable.

However, most defied the odds and continued their education at college. Scott Clark, Newport’s historic preservation officer, couldn’t provide the exact statistics for how many students graduated.

Clark was also the one to inform the public of the way the community has reacted similarly in modern day to the opening of Southgate to the way they did to the opening of the school in 1873.

The volunteers hold fundraisers for the school, and funds are donated by locals of Newport, Campbell County and Downtown Cincinnati. In addition to that, families of alumni and homeowners in the area donate artifacts and exhibits to provide for visitors.

The Southgate Street School made such an imprint in the lives of students, staff and the community. Now, since it has reopened as a museum, it will continue to transmit our understanding of the past to future generations.

NKU Digital • Copyright 2019 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in