Stephen Wilder

Story Editor

Stephen+Wilder

Year: Senior

Major: Journalism

Minor: English

High school: Holmes (Covington)

Stephen started at NKU as a sports business major, but quickly learned that his strengths were working with words and people, not with numbers. He has a passion for working in sports and studying English, so he figured he would give sports journalism a shot.

“It was the best decision I have ever made,” Wilder said. “Not only do I love what I do, but I also proved to be naturally good at it.”

Almost immediately after he began taking journalism courses, Stephen reached out to The Northerner, NKU’s independent student newspaper, and started writing for the sports section. He quickly made it into an editor position and has kept moving up the ladder ever since. Stephen is going into his sixth semester with The Northerner and has held editor positions such as sports features editor, sports editor, managing editor, and now copy desk chief.

Outside of the newspaper and taking classes, Stephen is a bartender at Red Lobster in Florence, Ky. He has been with the company for eight years and has done nearly everything there, except becoming a manager.

He wasted no time getting involved with NKU’s chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists and plans on being a national member for the rest of his career. He is currently vice president of the group.

“I believe the networking opportunities that SPJ offers is invaluable to a journalist,” Wilder said.

Even though math wasn’t his favorite subject, Stephen stayed involved with the Sports Business Club, and eventually became president of the group.

“I figured the networking and experience in the business world that the club offers will make me more well-rounded and marketable,” Wilder said.

Being involved in journalism and all of these organizations has given Stephen many chances to travel around the country to different conferences for training and networking. He has also been fortunate to cover NKU’s athletic program during its transition into Division I.

Stephen appreciates everything journalism offers and likes the fact that it doesn’t involve only writing. His passion for English has led to a love for copy editing other student’s work, and he enjoys helping people in any way. He also loves taking photos and videos, as well as all of the other aspects of being a journalist.

“My favorite parts of journalism are learning something new every day and doing something I never thought I would do almost every week,” Wilder said.