Dean Hume

1339903485701Dean Hume has been teaching high school or college-level journalism classes and advising subsequent secondary-level or collegiate publications for 32 years. A former reporter and columnist for various daily and weekly papers across the state, Hume currently teaches Journalism I, II and III-honors level journalism classes at Lakota East High School in Liberty Township, Ohio, where he is in his 21st year advising Spark, the award-winning, 76-page, color, glossy-paper, monthly news magazine that features a staff of more than 125 students.

The students control all content and fund the publication via advertising and subscription sales and fundraisers. Spark is a perennial Gold Crown, Gallup, Pacemaker and JEA National Best of Show winner as well as a two-time SPJ student publication of the year. A Dow Jones Newspaper Fund Distinguished Advisor, and a NOSPA Hall of Fame Advisor, Hume served as an adjunct professor in the School of Journalism at Kent State University as well as the Co-director of the NOSPA Summer Press Institute.  Named a 2002 Presidential Scholar Educator by the U. S. Department of Education, Hume also teaches at numerous journalism workshops and state conventions across the country.