Demo site provided by School Newspapers Online.

Student journalists learn how to adapt to changing plans at Aero Girls camp

June 22, 2016

Jw+Story+talking+to+his+subjects+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Jw Story talking to his subjects

Jw Story talking to his subjects

Matt Sexton

Jw Story talking to his subjects

Matt Sexton

Matt Sexton

Jw Story talking to his subjects

Shooting video stories can be quite challenging even when things go as planned. When things don’t go as planned, as the student journalists found out Wednesday, it can be quite the challenge.

Journalists Sophia Spivey, Jw Story, Kaeleigh Taylor and Collin Trissel made good adjustments to changing plans while covering the Aero-Girls summer camp.

Students interviewed attendees at the Center for Integrative Natural Science and Mathematics Aero-Girls Camp. They discussed the science camp designed to promote girls getting involved in flight-based careers. The camp was open to girls in grades six to 10.

In addition to recording interviews with the Aero students, the journalism campers zipped around the Dorothy Westerman Herrmann Natural Science Center shooting B-roll for the video stories.

Due to conflicting scheduling, one of the interviews the students planned to do was scrapped. They also were unable to get all of the B-roll video they had planned in class before beginning the shoot.

However, the students adjusted to the changing schedule in a real-world journalism experience.

“I’m glad I got the experience,” said Story, a senior at Mason County High School. “It helps prepare me for more real-world journalism. If I get a door shut in my face I know how better to handle it.”

Trissel, an eighth grader at Walnut Hills, agreed that having to change plans made the experience more authentic.

“It would have been nice to get B-roll of the students working,” Trissel said. “If that wasn’t a thing they wanted, then that’s OK I guess.”

Despite the change in plans, Trissel said he had enjoyed the experience.

“I find it really fun, actually,” Trissel said. “I think it’s interesting to get people’s perspective on an issue or a question.”

Challenging experiences are nothing new to Spivey, who has covered complex subjects for her high school news magazine at Lakota East. The junior has had to balance publishing tough stories with trying to keep school officials from being irritated.

“At my school, we’re student-run, so we can publish anything we want,” Spivey said. “But we don’t want to irritate our principal. If we irritate the principal, she won’t talk to us.”

While there were challenges on the shoot, Taylor said the overall experience was a good one for the journalism students.

“It’s been annoyingly fascinating,” said Taylor, a sophomore at Dater High School. “You don’t know their story, but you want to get their story.”

NKU Digital • Copyright 2019 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in