Demo site provided by School Newspapers Online.

Students battle elements to get latest on Health Innovation Center construction

June 22, 2016

While heavy rain halted construction on Northern Kentucky University’s new Health Innovation Center, student journalists got the latest information on the new building’s progress.

One of the small groups of student journalists met with NKU Provost Sue Ott Rowlands Wednesday as part of the Journalism in the Digital Age workshop.

The students asked the provost questions regarding the ongoing construction on NKU’s campus. Caroline Horvath, eighth grader at Walnut Hills, said the students felt at ease interviewing Rowlands.

“She was really funny and comfortable to be around,” Horvath said.

The students set up their cameras and sat to down to discover what the health innovation means to the development of NKU. They discovered many interesting facts about the center, like the center using mannequins similar to crash test dummies to teach college students to treat patients in different ways.

“I learned a lot about asking questions and I really feel like the press conference yesterday helped us a lot with today’s interviews,” said Grace Hall, sophomore at Mount Notre Dame.

They also talked to Tess Phinney, the sustainability manager for NKU, about the Health Innovations Center eco-friendly approach and the ways NKU is trying to become a greener campus.

“Getting the scoop is really exciting to me,” said Kyle Kruthoffer, junior at Calvary Christian School. “I like to challenge myself and I feel like I have come out of my shell a little.”

The day was full of challenges for the kids. It rained most of the morning and washed out a lot of the b-roll opportunities for the kids. Technology also didn’t work as planned when several SD cards ran out of memory.  

Even still, the students got real world experience and learned even more about interacting with people and dealing with the challenges of being a journalist.

“This was one of the coolest things I’ve ever done,” Kruthoffer said. “I have really enjoyed working with the people at NKU.”

NKU Digital • Copyright 2019 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in